The Buckley Society Logo

George Edward Lloyd at a family wedding"

Saint John's United Reformed Church, Buckley

7 December 1971

Bessie Lloyd's maiden name was Morris.


The following appeared in "Common Interest: The Magazine of Saint John's United Reformed Church, Easter 2004"


GEORGE EDWARD LLOYD (Bill's dad) by Gwyneth Lloyd


When I was 12 years old I said to my friend Doreen, "What shall we do today?" She said, "Let's go for a walk on the Fay Hills by the Trap Pool". When we arrived there I noticed two men were fishing; one was Reg Brimblecombe but I didn't know the other. I threw a couple of stones in the water and the man I didn't know shouted angrily, "Throw one more in and I'll throw you in." I threw another in and ran and ran. I was too quick for him, but we never went there again.


When I was 15 I met Bill, my husband, and after I'd been out with him for a few weeks he asked me to meet his Mum and Dad. When I went only his mum, his twin sister and another sister were there; his Dad was in the Fire Service. Anyway whilst we were eating supper his Dad came in and I was introduced to him and lo and behold it was the same chap who had reprimanded me for throwing stones in the pool three years earlier. He didn't mention it and I went there every Tuesday and always had a warm welcome. When Bill was called up for the Forces I continued to go there and took many of my friends there. When I knew Bill's parents better I told Mr. Lloyd the story of our previous meeting. He said, "When I first saw you I thought I recognised you but couldn't remember from where. Yes, I would have thrown you in too - but all is forgiven". He asked my to call him George so I always called him George Edward. He was one of my closest friends. I loved to hear him relating stories of when he was under-gardener in a big hall in Hereford, called Hatfield Court. He was threatened that he would lose his job if he didn't vote Tory. He was so scared, he did vote Tory but never told his parents.


Every Christmas there was a big party for all the employees and friends at the Hall. He was a very good dancer in those days and got on well with everyone. He was soon Head Gardener. He married and had a little "tied" cottage nearby. When the twins arrived Bill (my husband) and Kathleen, both weighing under 4 lbs - and 19 months later another girl (Margaret) arrived. Bill's mum was finding it difficult to manage on £1.8.0d (£1.40) so his dad applied for another post in New Zealand which he got but when they were almost ready to go his parents-in-law pleaded with them to stay in this country as they thought they would never see them or the children again. He had also applied for a job at Hartsheath, near Pontblyddyn, so having accepted that post, the family arrived in Wales. He stayed there for a number of years and then joined the Fire Service. He then heard of a better job where he would work on his own, not in a team and be more independent. There was no house with this job but they soon acquired a rented property in Drury. He was gardener for Mr. and Mrs. Villiers, Oak House near the Elm. When he went there it was a very rough field, more stone than soil. Soon the garden took shape - he eventually made tennis courts. Dad would be seen playing tennis with the daughter of the house during the summer.


He would still go fishing in the Trap clay-pit. He and Reg put the fish there in the first place. They brought buckets of fish from Padeswood Pond.


One day Mr. Villiers was disposing of a grandfather clock. Dad asked whether he could have it. Mr. Villiers agreed so it was put on a wheelbarrow and wheeled all the way to Drury. He had it repaired and polished and it was in working order until 1983. Mr. Villiers thought a lot of Dad cycling from Drury every day in all kinds of weather, so he bought a cottage in the Willow and had it modernised. Bill's parents were delighted and soon moved in. They kept chickens and used to sell eggs. They had a large greenhouse and were very happy living in that house for a few years. Eventually Mr. Villiers died and Oak House was sold to a local chemist, Mr. Rainford. Dad continued to work there but wasn't happy. He asked for a rise in pay but was told "No rise - in fact I want you out of the cottage as I want to put it up for sale". Mum and Dad then went to stay with their daughter in Penyffordd and Dad worked at John Summers as a gardener. He liked his job and it was regular hours of 8am - 4pm. They managed to save and buy a small terraced house in Lane End. Bill helped decorate it. They lived there for a few years. Bill's mum took ill in November and died the following April. Dad was very upset and we all felt the loss. He came to us for dinner and I was cutting his "snapping" and he went home to sleep. Eventually one day he came for dinner and was quieter that usual. I said, "Have I vexed you at all?" and he said "I've something on my mind. I don't know if the family will approve", and he told me he'd met another lady and they liked each other. Of course, I hugged him. I know how lonely he had been. All the family were delighted. Dad said "You know her - Bessie Morris". She was our daughter Ruth's Sunday School teacher. We welcomed her to our hearts and home and they were happily married for 22 years. Dad took ill and sadly passed away on the twins' birthday. I still miss him to this day. He was quite a character and always the same. He loved the country, knew all about Mother Nature, he could name all the birds, flowers and trees and would reminisce about his war years in India. He was very interesting. I have many happy memories of him.


Now Bill and I have bought the old home at the Willow - we are home at last. I bet Dad is smiling and nodding his approval. I'm so proud to have had him for my friend.


Author: Lloyd, Gwyneth


Year = 1971

Month = December

Day = 7

Building = Religious

Event = Wedding

Gender = Mixed

People = Group

Extra = Formal Portrait

Extra = 1970s

Copyright © 2015 The Buckley Society