The Buckley Society Logo

Beer bottle label"

Castle Hill, Ewloe


Castle Hill Brewery was situated on the edge of Wepre wood reached by a private drive from the old A55 road. The premises are privately owned today but the spring from which water was drawn is in Wepre Park which is owned by Flintshire County Council. Adverts proclaimed the water drawn from the spring to be 'of absolute purity'.


John Fox and James Heyes founded the brewery in 1844; James Heyes died in 1870 and the business was carried on by John Fox upon whose death in 1886 the business passed to his son of the same name.


The Brewery became one of the largest in Flintshire and the Buckley public houses which sold the ales included;-


The Hope and Anchor, Ewloe Place

The Red Lion, Liverpool Road

The Crown Inn, Penymynydd

The Hawarden Castle, Warren


Other premises included;-


Stags Head, Ewloe

Ship Inn, Connah's Quay

Wellington Inn, Saltney

Plough Inn, Aston hill

Crown and Liver, Ewloe

Mechanics Arms, Pentre

New Inn, Sandycroft

Blue Bell, Hawarden

Upper Vaults, Mold

Butchers Arms, Nercwys

White Bear, Mancot

Hawarden Castle Hotel, Queensferry

Rose Inn, Treuddyn


Production ceased in 1948 when it was bought over by Burtonwood Brewery.


Author: Davies, Paul


Year = 1948

Extra = 1940s

Copyright © 2015 The Buckley Society