The Buckley Society Logo

The Toll Gate on the Turnpike Road at Buckley Cross"

Cross, Buckley


See 1.113 for a picture of this scene painted by James Bentley.


The Cross looking south, 1860s. The toll-house probably dates from the 1820s when turnpikes were being built in the area. The building had gone by 1880 replaced by a gatehouse from where Mr and Mrs P Jenkinson ran their haberdashery business. Thomas W. Wright's chemist shop was established in about 1860.


Author: Anon


Year = 1860

Building = Public

Gender = Mixed

Landscape = Urban

People = Group

Work = Public Service

Extra = 1900s

Copyright © 2015 The Buckley Society