The Buckley Society Logo

Information board at outdoor museum "

Knowl Hill, Buckley

March 1988





Please do not damage this notice or site. Visitors from afar come to see it.


The brick, hard track alongside this footpath comprises, in part, one of the first three iron tramways in Wales. This tramway started at Hancock's Pottery, Daisy Hill (Lady of the Rosary R.C. Church [ 2003 - Buckley Christian Centre - ed.]), descended to Lane End Brickworks, passed under a tunnel to this site.


From here it crossed the area to the road alongside the Parrot Inn, then alongside the "Redroad" (Lloyd's Hills), past the Grandstand Inn [2003 - The Burntwood - ed.] and down the Dinghouse Woods (Wood Lane) to Paradise Farm. From here it originally proceeded to Mancot and the River Dee.


Later, it joined an iron tramroad at Aston Hall Colliery, which descended Aston Hall to the River Dee by the present Queensferry road bridge. It was completed about 1810.


After the Buckley Railway was completed and later the Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Quay Railway, Hancock's tramway, instead of cutting across the standard rail track at this point, finished here. An "exchange" siding was made. Small box waggons were mounted on the railway waggons and taken to Connah's Quay docks. This site is the exchange siding. J.B.

Author: Bentley, James


Year = 1988

Month = March

Landscape = Industrial

Transport = Streetcar

Work = Transport

Extra = 1980s

Copyright © 2015 The Buckley Society