The Buckley Society Logo

Brunswick Road looking towards Chester"

Chester Road, Buckley

April 2002

This newsagents belonged in the 1920s to Fred Griffiths, who subsequently moved to the newsagents opposite the baths. Then, Sam Hughes, who used to take us round the town on the running board of his old black car to deliver the papers during the holidays. Then Peter Wilcock in October 1938 and ran the business until 1954: Bert Higgins took over in 1956, followed by a family called Slater from Stockport.

Don Rowlands took over about 1973. Mr and Mrs Hill took over. In 2006, it's a take-away.


The Chester Road/ Brunswick Road/ Church Road junction was Y-shaped until the 1970s when the short new road from Brunswick Road to Church Road was built opposite the Brickworks' entrance. The white house on the left is Number One, Chester Road.



Author: Hayes, John Eric, 1918 - 2010


Year = 2002

Month = April

Landscape = Urban

Extra = 2000s

Copyright © 2015 The Buckley Society