1900
KNOWL HILL EXCHANGE SIDING
During the eighteenth and until the mid nineteenth century horse tramways proceeded from Buckley Mountain and Ewloe down to the River Dee at Sandycroft and later Queensferry. In 1864, a standard gauge railway was built from Wrexham to Connah's Quay. Where the new railway cut across the ancient tramway tracks, a wharf was built whereby trams could be loaded onto railway waggons.
PICTURE TEXT
Unloading empty shipping waggons at Hancock's sidings, Buckley, circa 1900.
Coal slack waggons were unloaded at top end of siding simultaneously.
Plan of Knowl Hill Wharf. Wrexham, Mold and Connah's Quay Railway.
Author: Bentley, James
Year = 1900
Building = Industrial
Gender = Male
Landscape = Industrial
Transport = Rail
Work = Heavy Industry
Extra = Visual Arts
Copyright © 2015 The Buckley Society