The Buckley Society Logo

Castle Brickworks"

Castle Brickworks, Buckley


from "An Industrial and Pottery Walk round Buckley", which is in the library.


Castle Brick Company


Established in 1865 by the Alletson family - George Herbert Alletson. Taken over by John Summers Ltd of Shotton in 1916 in order to ensure an adequate supply of firebricks for their steel works. Extract from Slater's Directory: "All descriptions of flooring tiles, ridge tiles, bearers, slabs, articles for gasworks etc., chimney pots, flower pots, seakale and rhubarb pots and all kinds of glazed earthenware." Postal address: Hawarden, Chester. Closed 1970.

The yard contained exposed beehive kilns protected by "shades". At the termination, firing was by large gas containers. Remains of a Hoffman chamber, continuous kiln were visible for many years near the road.

Until the 1950s, kilns were coal fired and vehicles passing the adjacent road were momentarily warned.


1865 Established by George Herbert Alletson and partner

1875 By now Alletson's had become "Limited". The company then owned "Castle", "Plas Bellin Colliery" and "Northop Hall Colliery and Tramway". Of its seven directors, five came from Waterford, one from Kilkenny, whilst Alletson was the seventh. The Alletson family, mostly quakers, had strong Irish family links.

1916 Bought by John Summers and Company

1925 "New Castle Works" or "Elm Works" were built. Silica for the former was brought by lorry from Bryn Mawr near Abergavenney. Coal obtained from Elm and Mountain Collieries until their closure (owned by Watkinson, later "Castle Brick Company".)

1930 Castle Brick Company acquired Caernarfon Brick Company

1936 Bought Catherall's brick works

1940 Bought Buckley Brick and Tile Company

1942 New chimney erected at Castle Brickworks 18th August - 80ft high, 9'3" wide

1944 Bought Edward Parry and Sons

1944 Bought Buttington (Welshpool) works

1956 Bought William Hancock and Company Ltd at Junction and Lane End

1962 Bought J.C. Edwards, Ruabon

1964 Bought Hooton Brickworks and Buckley Colliery Company.


It was taken over by Butterley Brick in 1972, was closed and demolished in 1976 - ed.


Author: Bentley, James


Year = 1900

Building = Industrial

Landscape = Industrial

Work = Heavy Industry

Extra = Visual Arts

Extra = 1900s

Copyright © 2015 The Buckley Society